Please fill out volunteer application online, or print and fill out to bring with you to the volunteer orientation.
Our SMART family of volunteers are at the heart of everything we do!
Volunteers Make It Happen!
Volunteers are the “manpower” behind the “horsepower.” Volunteers are truly the lifeblood of our organization and programs. Fresh air, new friends, horses and exercise are just a few of the perks of being a SMART volunteer. Volunteers (age 14 and up) are trained to side-walk with our riders and care for the horses. In addition, they help with fundraising efforts, special projects and maintenance on the farm. Local businesses, schools and companies participate in volunteer workdays.
Our volunteers often say they “get more than they give” because they make new friends, help others in their community and help bring joy to the lives of our riders and their families.
Take the first step to join the SMART family of volunteers
Volunteer orientations are held the first Saturday of each month (with some exceptions due to holidays). Email our volunteer coordinator at [email protected] to attend an orientation.
Help Make a Difference
There are so many volunteer opportunities at SMART! Most of our volunteers help with our lesson program, which includes grooming and tacking horses, leading a horse during a riding less or assisting a rider as a side-walker. Lesson volunteers are very active and should be comfortable walking on uneven ground and doing some light jogging. All volunteers are trained and must be capable of executing an “emergency dismount.”
Barn maintenance volunteers help keep our facility clean and tidy and our horses healthy. Can you spare 3 hours of your time once or twice a week? It makes a big difference!!
You can also make a difference by helping with a number of important administrative activities such as word processing projects, grant writing, fundraising, as well as event planning. If you are interested in lending a hand in this capacity, please inquire to discuss potential projects and needs.
- Minimum age requirement: 14 years.
- All volunteers must complete the online Volunteer Application.
- Lesson volunteers are asked to sign up for a minimum of one lesson per week for one semester.
- Volunteers must be able to adhere to safety standards, follow directions of program staff and instructors and perform duties independently and consistently with the particular volunteer function.
- Training: You DO NOT need to be a “horsey” person to help out. We provide on-the-job training as needed.
- Throughout the year, SMART hosts corporate group give-back days for companies who have employees willing to donate their time and talent by providing hands-on work at our facility. Local organizations have visited us to paint, repair, regrade and perform other various maintenance related projects!
- Local Girl Scout Troops, Eagle Scouts and 4H are just a few of the organizations that generously donate their time and energy around our farm, completing landscaping and beautification projects which are enjoyed by our students and their families plus our staff.
- With miles and miles of white fences there is always a need for pressure washing!!
SMART and our beloved herd are always appreciative and grateful for the amazing effort our volunteer family provides!