Warriors in Transition
SMART is providing monthly Equine Assisted Learning (EAL) workshops for veterans from the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System at no cost to the veterans. The Warriors in Transition program was developed by Terry Murray (veteran and entrepreneur) to assist both active duty military and recent veterans as they navigate the challenges of repeated deployment cycles, as well as their eventual transition back to civilian life. The workshop employs many Equine Assisted Learning (EAL) exercises focusing on leadership, team building and physical and emotional well-being. The goal is to impart emotional intelligence competencies while conducting specifically designed, ground-based exercises with the horses. Doing so cultivates creativity, adaptability, resiliency and positive communications skills. These skills not only promote personal growth and development, but are also skills employers are looking for in the private sector.
The monthly workshop is aimed at empowering our veterans, encouraging them to fully leverage the skills and attributes they developed during their service as they transition back to civilian life and the workforce.
By partnering with our horses, veterans learn to ask for space and set healthy boundaries, lead without force, relax without losing awareness, and rebuild trust. Our wonderful horses, along with SMART’s beautiful and peaceful farm, provide an opportunity for veterans to have a truly transformational experience.
For more information or to provide support for the Warriors in Transition program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call SMART at 941-322-2000.
We thank the following individuals and organizations for their generous financial support of this program and for supporting our area veterans:
- Women's Outreach Ministry of the Church of the Redeemer
- Misdee Wrigley and James Mather Miller Charitable Foundation
- Phyllis Siskel
- American Legion Riders, Post 309
- Jane Drake
- Lakewood Ranch Elks Lodge 2855
- Tropicana EnAble Team
- Lakewood Ranch Women's Club
- Diana & Bob Staab in Memory of Doug Reese
- Candi & Dean Russell
- Tropicana Valor Group
- Sisterhood for Good
- American Legion Auxiliary, N. Manatee Unit 309
- Elkettes of Bradenton, BPOE #1511
- ASMBA Star / Overwatch Alliance
- American Legion Riders Chapter 24
- American Legion Kirby Stewart Post 24
- The Norman & Phyllis Siskel Fund of the Community Foundation of Sarasota
- Cassidy Family Foundation
- Church of the Annunciation
- Universal North American Insurance Company
- Lisa Reese
- VFW 10141 Auxiliary
- James and Kimberly Kolls